Nine Escambia County Public Schools have been recognized by the Florida Department of Education as Purple Star Schools.
The schools to achieve this honor include:
- Bailey Middle
- Beulah Academy of Science
- Blue Angels Elementary
- Escambia High School
- Global Learning Academy
- Jim Allen Elementary
- N.B. Cook Elementary
- Pine Meadow Elementary
- West Florida High
“We are so proud of our relationship with our area military bases, and welcome the opportunity to continue to work closely with them to support our military families,” stated ECPS Superintendent Dr. Tim Smith. “This recognition validates the efforts of our schools as they seek to meet the needs of our local military community.”
The Purple Star School of Distinction Designation, established by the Florida Legislature (House Bill 429) and signed into law in June 2021, recognizes schools that support the unique needs of military families. Florida is committed to being the most military‐friendly state in the nation, and this program helps students as they relocate to new schools due to a parent’s change in duty station.
A Purple Star School of Distinction supports military families through the implementation of activities such as:
- Highlighting annual military recognition events, e.g., Month of the Military Child, Month of the Military Family, Purple-Up! for Military Kids, Veterans Day and Memorial Day;
- Publicizing support for military students and families;
- Providing opportunities for active-duty parents to volunteer at the school;
- Participating in one or more service projects that connect the school with the military community; and
- Offering the Junior Reserve Officers’ Training Corps (JROTC) program.